Position Title: Marketing and Communications Manager
Classification: Full time, Exempt
Supervisor: VP of Development
Staff Reports: Web Content Coordinator; Public Relations Coordinator
Location: Boise, ID
The Marketing and Communications Manager is responsible for development of The Idaho Foodbank’s external and internal marketing and communications strategies with a focus on increasing statewide brand awareness and expanding donor engagement. Under the direction of the VP of Development, the Marketing and Communications Manager directs the efforts of the marketing, communications and public relations staff and coordinates at the strategic and tactical levels with the other functions of the organization.
The position requires skillful analysis of identified constituencies and the development of communication tactics or outreach to meet identified needs and influence public perception and action. Donor stewardship is a critical focus area, encompassing the cultivation, retention and recognition of individuals, organizations and corporations.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Develop, manage and execute an annual statewide strategic marketing and communications plan for The Idaho Foodbank to span across all communication media (online and offline) and reach appropriate target audiences, based upon specific performance goals.
- Evaluate the success of various marketing and fundraising strategies inlcuding direct mail and online; provide and implement recommendations for improvement.
- Foster best practices and execute marketing campaigns to increase donations, volunteers and/or advocacy efforts.
- Oversee the creative direction of all branded campaigns, programs and projects, maintaining a high standard of quality and visual consistency in printed and electronic materials.
- Develop, manage and coordinate production of materials to create a cohesive brand image and message for print and all offline communication vehicles, including, but not limited to the following: printed and electronic newsletters; brochures and information kits; annual report; events (invitations, postcards, etc.); press kits; and media ads (print and radio).Oversee design and printing.
- Develop and manage marketing budget and ensure budgeted expenses and return on investment targets are met for the marketing projects assigned.
- Coordinate with Web Content Coordinator to design and produce online communication material used in internal and external marketing-communications initiatives.
- Supervise all online communication vehicles, including but not limited to the online social media, including Facebook, Twitter,and blogs; the Team Intranet site; and emerging media.
- Plan and coordinate external communication efforts with other team members, including but not limited to publicity for events, promotion, cause-marketing, program launches, breaking news, etc.
- Oversee all internal and external communication for consistency. Proof and edit all marketing communications materials, including all advertising and digital campaigns, and selected web content.
- Supervise the work output of outside creative vendors as necessary for individual projects (specialized copywriters, graphic artists, photographers, mailing houses, postal service, list brokers, advertising representatives, media contacts, etc.)
- Develop strategic plans, business plans and budgets for marketing and communications that align with fundraising and organizational goals.
- Represent The Idaho Foodbank at selected public forums and meetings.
- Lead or support special projects and other duties as assigned by management.
DESIRED SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Excellent written communication skills; experienced copywriter across a wide variety of different marketing channels including direct mail, digital communication (e-newsletters), social media, advertising, radio, and video
- Demonstrated ability to formulate creative direction for a wide variety of marketing channels, including extensive experience working with graphic designers across a wide variety of project scopes and sizes; knowledge and experience in best practices in digital communications content creation
- Experience with traditional communication formats as well as emerging platforms desired
- Demonstrated experience and knowledge in best practices in direct mail deployment, including list management and campaign building strategies, and direct mail analytical strategies
- Experience with strategic planning, preparation and results-oriented tracking of press releases, market research, direct mail campaigns, SEM, websites and social media
- Demonstrated strong project management skills in order to meet multiple deadlines; strong analytical, organizational, and time management skills, as well as excellent interpersonal skills
- Results-oriented with a passion for the creative process
- Must be capable of working independently within a fast-paced, dynamic, team-oriented environment
- Comfortable seeking and requesting donations
- Highly organized with ability to successfully multi-task and meet deadlines
- Experience in public speaking and presentation a plus
- Flexibility to attend evening and/or weekend meetings and/or events
- Minimum three years’ experience in marketing, communications, or related fields required. Non-profit volunteer or work-related experience a plus.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Word, Excel and computer-based design programs such as InDesign required. WordPress editing or design experience desired
- Demonstrated project management experience required
- Strong analytical thinking and problem solving skills
- Budgeting and management experience preferred
- Bachelor’s degree in business, marketing, communications or related field preferred
- Portfolio showcasing projects and work to be provided upon request.
- Commit to upholding policies, principles and best practices for food safety.
- Understand the personal responsibility to follow all safety policies and health rules, programs and procedures, to report all unsafe acts, environment or behaviors immediately and to always report safety issues, incidents or accidents immediately.
- Negative Drug Screen
- Successful Background Clearance
This work is performed primarily in an office environment while sitting at a computer terminal for extended periods of time. May involve periodic lifting and carrying of items that may weigh up to 50 pounds. May work outside normal working hours and drive own vehicle for various projects on a daily basis.
This job description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by the employee in this position. Employees will be required to follow any other job related instructions and to perform any other job related duties requested by any person authorized to give assignments.
This position description excludes the marginal functions of the position that are incidental to the performance of fundamental job duties. All duties and responsibilities are essential job functions and requirements. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. This document does not create an employment contract, implied or otherwise, other than an “at will” relationship.