Title: Public Relations and Communications Specialist
Classification: Full-Time, Exempt
Reports to: Marketing Communications Manager
The Public Relations and Communications Specialist identifies and implements communications best practices, including traditional and emerging media channels, to inform and influence key external and internal constituencies to further The Idaho Foodbank mission. S/he is responsible for researching, creating, writing, organizing and disseminating information regarding The Idaho Foodbank needs, activities, events, issues and policies. This position is accountable for coordinating statewide communication efforts to inform the media, donors, community leaders, policy makers, partners and other stakeholders about complex issues and policies affecting the food insecure and hunger relief efforts.
Principle Duties and Responsibilities:
- Conduct research, develop story ideas and create materials that enhance the Foodbank image and public awareness of Foodbank operations and activities through e-newsletters, print newsletters, annual reports, print collateral material, social media and digital assets.
- Create, write, pitch and disseminate news releases, media alerts, speeches, press kits, articles and reports.
- Provide staff and media with background information regarding local, state and national hunger statistics and issues.
- Identify emerging issues that may affect The Idaho Foodbank and those struggling with hunger, and coordinate an organized approach for communicating Foodbank positions.
- Collaborate with all staff to create content, promote the Foodbank brand and incorporate tailored messaging into strategic communications.
- Work closely with outside community groups and organizations in coordinating public information to promote fundraising and organizational activities that support The Idaho Foodbank.
- Develop and maintain relationships with local, statewide and national media.
- Work collaboratively with leadership to develop and maintain relationships with local, state and national legislators and government officials to advocate for hunger relief.
- Responsible for tracking all earned and unearned media stories, maintaining contact lists, press clippings and archives.
- Actively work cross-departmentally to develop stories and support campaigns and events.
- Perform a wide variety of duties and responsibilities with accuracy and speed under the pressure of time-sensitive deadlines.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities Required:
- Bachelor’s degree in journalism, public relations, marketing, communications or related field; and minimum three years’ experience in a related field and/or an equivalent combination of experience and training that provides the knowledge and abilities necessary to perform the work
- Expertise regarding essay or journalistic writing, English grammar, and experience using specific communication styles for digital, print and mass media
- Proven experience creating, managing and writing blogs, e-newsletters and websites
- Experience writing and designing in email marketing platforms and website content management systems required
- Understanding of public affairs, communications and media principles, procedures and best practices used in mass communication and public relations
- Experience evaluating and applying digital and emerging communication technology
- Experience developing and implementing communication plans and strategies
- Experience meeting deadline-oriented, time-sensitive project goals
- Experience researching topics and correlating information
This work is performed primarily in an office environment while sitting at a computer terminal for extended periods of time. May involve periodic lifting and carrying of items that may weigh up to 50 pounds. May work outside normal working hours and drive own vehicle for various projects on a daily basis.
This job description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by the employee in this position. Employees will be required to follow any other job-related instructions and to perform any other job-related duties requested by any person authorized to give assignments.
This position description excludes the marginal functions of the position that are incidental to the performance of fundamental job duties. All duties and responsibilities are essential job functions and requirements. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. This document does not create an employment contract, implied or otherwise, other than an “at will” relationship.
THE IDAHO FOODBANK IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER