Job Title: Safety Specialist
Classification: Full-Time Non-Exempt
Department: Human Resources
Reports to: Food Safety and Compliance Manager
Location: Meridian, Idaho
The Safety Specialist is part of the Human Resources Team and responsible for assisting with implementation of the food safety management system and workplace safety program. This position ensures training requirements for food and workplace safety are met and effective, and assists in ensuring compliance to regulatory and program requirements.
Principle Duties and Responsibilities:
- Assist the Food Safety and Compliance Manager in the implementation and monitoring of food safety and workplace safety programs, including but not limited to, reviewing and verifying documentation, monitoring required activities, and conducting site inspections to maintain all regulatory compliance requirements for food and workplace safety
- Assist in the development, delivery and tracking of food and workplace safety training activities for all departments and branch locations
- Commit to upholding principles and best practices for food safety. Assist in verifying food safety standards are met for products and packaging materials through visual inspection, product handling and temperature monitoring when applicable.
- Ensure compliance to program components for both food and workplace safety at all branches
- Oversee regular monthly inspections of all IFB facilities; ensure corrective action is completed and documentation maintained
- Assist in the implementation and annual review of the Job Hazard Analysis process for all locations and maintain necessary documentation.
- Serve as the designated back-up to the Safety Chair of the Food and Workplace Safety Committee
- Work on special projects as assigned
- Other duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Required:
- Bachelor of Science Degree and/or equivalent demonstrated working knowledge of food safety handling procedures and regulation (preferred).
- Minimum of three years’ experience in the food industry with responsibility for food safety and/or employee safety compliance (preferred).
- Proficient in Microsoft Office applications
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Able to work independently and handle multiple priorities under minimal supervision.
- Must possess problem solving skills.
- Skills in facilitation of training events.
- Valid Driver’s License.
- Able to work with diverse groups and be part of a team.
- Must be able to understand instructions and effectively demonstrate quality results.
- Possess a willingness to learn.
- Requires attention to details.
- Applicable food safety and/or workplace safety qualifications which can include but not be limited to a combination of certification and experience in food manufacturing, food warehousing and/or food service; HACCP, USDA/FDA food regulation, FSMA, AIB, Food Protection Manager (i.e. ServSafe, NRFSP), OSHA or other food safety or occupational safety scheme or standard at a level to which food safety principles can effectively be applied to the Food Safety/Workplace Safety Management Systems
- Understand the personal responsibility to follow all safety policies and health rules, programs and procedures, to report all unsafe acts, environment or behaviors immediately and to always report safety issues, incidents or accidents immediately.
- Must be a model of a safe workplace and assist in leading team members to build a strong safety culture through expectation, support and compliance.
This work is performed in both an office and warehouse environment either sitting at a computer terminal or walking through the warehouse. May work outside normal working hours and drive own vehicle for various projects occasionally. [Must be able to lift 25 pounds.]
- Negative Drug Screen
- Successful Background Clearance
This job description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by the employee in this position. Employees will be required to follow any other job related instructions and to perform any other job related duties requested by any person authorized to give assignments.
This position description excludes the marginal functions of the position that are incidental to the performance of fundamental job duties. All duties and responsibilities are essential job functions and requirements. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. This document does not create an employment contract, implied or otherwise, other than an “at will” relationship.
THE IDAHO FOODBANK IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER