About The Idaho Foodbank
The Idaho Foodbank is an independent, donor-supported, nonprofit organization founded in 1984, and is the largest distributor of free food assistance in Idaho. From warehouses in Boise, Lewiston and Pocatello, the Foodbank has distributed more than 135 million pounds of food to Idaho families through a network of more than 230 community-based partners. These include rescue missions, church pantries, emergency shelters and community kitchens. The Foodbank also operates direct-service programs that promote healthy families and communities through good nutrition.
In addition to free food distribution, The Idaho Foodbank provides specialized service programs that serve an important role in communities that lack resources for hungry families and children. These programs include:
- Backpack Program: supplies weekend nutrition to school children who would otherwise go hungry over the weekend.
- Mobile Pantry Program: provides emergency food to rural areas and areas lacking emergency food services.
- Grocery Alliance Program: partners with grocery stores and supermarkets to provide fresh nutritious food.
- Picnic in the Park: provides nutrition for food-insecure children during the summer months, when the school lunch they depended on is unavailable.
- School Pantry: improves access to nutritious food for hungry students and their families. Each pantry is located in a public school and provides a safe, discreet, and convenient source of food for any child who is enrolled at the school, as well as for their family members.
Individual donations, grants and corporate donations are the primary sources of funding for The Idaho Foodbank. The organization does not depend on government funding or subsidies. Food donations are accepted from manufacturers, wholesalers and retailers, community and corporate food drives and through the national Feeding America network. Tax-deductible cash donations are critical to underwrite the costs associated with acquiring, transporting, warehousing and distributing food throughout the state of Idaho.