Healthy Holiday Tips
The Holidays can be a difficult time for people watching their eating habits and trying to stay healthy. Our dietician Alexa shared some helpful and healthful tips for cooking, baking and eating this holiday season.
- Instead of butter, substitute equal parts for unsweetened applesauce.
- Substitute low-fat or skim milk instead of whole or heavy cream.
- Instead of using only white flour, use half white and half whole-wheat flour.
- Choose to use whole-grain breads, rice and pasta instead of white
- Bake, grill, or steam vegetables instead of frying.
- Instead of whole milk or heavy cream, substitute with low-fat or fat-free/skim milk.
- Compare labels of your holiday ingredients, and choose products with lower amounts of sodium and added sugars.
- Use spices and fruit, like cinnamon, cloves apples, and/or cranberries instead of using sugar to sweeten cider
- Instead of using heavy cream or whole milk in dairy-based drinks, use low-fat or skim milk.
- Mix 100% juice with water or use freshly squeezed juice instead of adding sugar to mixed drinks.